konto usunięte

Temat: Does Anyone play RPGs in English?

It's a question waiting for answers.
Krzysztof Nelken

Krzysztof Nelken Director (Accounting
Department) at PGNiG
OD

It happend few times... usually I play(ed) in Polish.
The best (in my opinon) system is GURPS. Never had this one in Polish... :)Krzysztof Nelken-Żbik edytował(a) ten post dnia 28.03.08 o godzinie 19:22
Michał Z.

Michał Z. rzecznik prasowy

Once (or twice) upon a time...

konto usunięte

Why so few times? Is your English really so bad? :)) Just kidding. j/k

All the rulebooks translations are bad. Many players use English rulebooks. And English terms from rulebooks. Some games not available in Polish.

So, really, why so few times you play(ed) in English?
Michał Z.

The thing is I never read an RPG manual or a rulebook in Polish ;) In the times I started it was impossible to get it in PL, so we'd used only the original ones (or the copies we managed to get).

Later I got used to them so much I didn't want to buy translations. And it went on, up 'till today.

konto usunięte

Michał Z.:
The thing is I never read an RPG manual or a rulebook in Polish ;)

Later I got used to them so much I didn't want to buy translations. And it went on, up 'till today.

So, why so few times you play(ed) in English? It would seem a great way to multi-task: to recreate and to learn twice a month. Do you have no interest to play in English? Do the more social aspects of role playing, storytelling, exploring, or strategic thinking possible using English in RPG appeal to you?
Michał Z.

First, just because I rather played for recreational purposes and never treated RPG as a mean to learn a language. Second, most of my buddies who played with me were Polish, so there was no need to complicate life.

If I'd played with Americans or British, I would speak English. If I'd played in Italy, I would speak Italian. And so on. Simple, isn't it?

konto usunięte

My apologies. I do not mean to offend, Michał.

I am only curious why there would exist a deep division between what is learning and what is fun, especially in the RPG community. (We can understand it is only possible to practice language using RPGs after knowing the basics of learning from school). We have a group run by a native speaker but it is only open to higher advanced and proficiency-level students.

There are many styles of RPG play that would be inappropriate in a language practice setting: e.g. power gamer, rules lawyer, hack & slasher. But there are other styles greatly suited to not only learning a language vocabulary but to better apprehend its many facets while being deeply immersed in its spontaneity.

Would you, for example, be interested in combining learning with a fun experience?
Michał Z.

Aneta Bereda:

Apologies accepted.

(by the way, does anybody remeber where does this quote come from ;D)

Truly, I didn't feel offended. If I sounded like I did, I didn't mean it ;)Michał Z. edytował(a) ten post dnia 02.04.08 o godzinie 22:04
Michał Z.

Aneta Bereda:

Would you, for example, be interested in combining learning with a fun experience?

I would. But as I said, I never thought of RPG in any other categories as fun. That's the point.

konto usunięte

Michał Z.:
Aneta Bereda:

Apologies accepted.

(by the way, does anybody remeber where does this quote come from ;D)

Truly, I didn't feel offended. If I sounded like I did, I didn't mean it ;)Michał Z. edytował(a) ten post dnia 02.04.08 o godzinie 22:04
Darth Vader, Empire Strikes Back. All too easy....

konto usunięte

Michał Z.:
Aneta Bereda:

I would. But as I said, I never thought of RPG in any other categories as fun. That's the point.
That is interesting, Michał. As I wrote in another Topic, there are many more women playing RPG for learning than men - who I must assume only think of RPG as fun and do not associate learning with any fun or fun activities.

Would my hypothesis be correct? (I don't know know. I am not a man. :p ) This could be why there are so few men interested in RPG as language practice. What do you think about it? And what do you think I could do to "sell" the business of RPG language practice to men who do not see learning and fun together?
Krzysztof Nelken

Department) at PGNiG
OD

Aneta Bereda:
Would my hypothesis be correct? (I don't know know. I am not a man. :p ) This could be why there are so few men interested in RPG as language practice. What do you think about it? And what do you think I could do to "sell" the business of RPG language practice to men who do not see learning and fun together?
A bit 'yes', and a bit 'no'. There are no 'black or white' answers I think. Learning is learning, having fun is having fun - mixing it and paying for it might be confusing. RPG is for fun - I don't know if I could have fun knowing that this is bought per hour from English school. That's why you're right. On the other hand most of us like Michał wrote used English rulebooks. There are now translations available, but reading some of them in Polish makes me want to play "hack'n'slash" game in real life but with the translators ;-) I know English and prefer original versions of games compared to Polish translations.
Nevertheless, I am very, very curious and may want to try mixed RPG-English learning session ;) Truly!Krzysztof Nelken-Żbik edytował(a) ten post dnia 03.04.08 o godzinie 00:05

konto usunięte

Krzysztof Nelken-Żbik:
Nevertheless, I am very, very curious and may want to try mixed
RPG-English learning session ;) Truly!Krzysztof Nelken-Żbik edytował(a) ten post dnia 03.04.08 o godzinie 00:05

That is difficult to do via Internet. Maybe I can send you a PDF booklet. I know you are really busy, Krzysztof, so you might just look at the table of contents and read what is interesting to you. (Much is written about stuff you know about as an RPGer so it will not be interesting to you. How I explain the concept, what happens at a session, the Top 10 FAQ might interest you.)

I would really like to have your opinion, especially as a gamer. Anyone is welcome to have a copy of the PDF. It is distributed to language students.

Please let me know your email address if you are interested.
Krzysztof Nelken

Department) at PGNiG
OD

Aneta Bereda:
I would really like to have your opinion, especially as a gamer.
That is difficult to do via Internet. Maybe I can send you a PDF > booklet. I know you are really busy, Krzysztof, so you might just look at the table of contents and read what is interesting to you. Anyone is welcome to have a copy of the PDF. It is distributed to language students.

Please let me know your email address if you are interested. [...]

That would be interesting I presume - I sent You my e-mail adress.
Michał Z.

Aneta Bereda:

Vader, Empire Strikes Back.[/url] All too easy....

:D

Right! I forgot it's the forum dedicated to fantasy and sci-fi fans!

konto usunięte

Michał Z.:

Right! I forgot it's the forum dedicated to fantasy and sci-fi fans!

I forgot too! :(

We need more of them participating here, Michał! I am sure others use English rulebooks!!!

It would be nice to have some of the 334 other voices in the group heard. If people can read an English rulebook, they should be able to communicate in English about RPGs.

Aneta Bereda:
We need more of them participating here, Michał! I am sure others use English rulebooks!!!
I used only english rulebooks... the ones translated to polish were just crap for me ;)

konto usunięte

Agnieszka S.:
Aneta Bereda:
I used only english rulebooks... the ones translated to polish
were just crap for me ;)
Hi Agnieszka,

Have you ever played in English?

I have an English conversation service for higher Advanced and Proficiency level students, and the native speaker uses RPGs for conversation practice. We fill the sessions with women (only a little better than 1:5 men use our service) and I am wondering why is that?

Why is there a deep division between what is learning and what is
fun, between men and women, especially in the RPG community? (I have heard stories about how learning the rules from English rulebooks s'Elf-motivated RPGers to learn English.)

I think we can agree without much debate that RPG play is greatly suited to not only learning a language vocabulary but to better apprehend its many facets by players immersed in language spontaneity.

Do you have different emotions about combining learning with fun than the feeling expressed by the two men (above) on the subject? Would you, for example, be interested in practicing English by playing RPG for 4 hours, bi-monthly?

ps. the link is to a Ph.D disertation on the subject written in Poznan.Aneta Bereda edytował(a) ten post dnia 05.04.08 o godzinie 07:52

konto usunięte

Aneta Bereda:
s'Elf-motivated RPGers

I could not resist.Aneta Bereda edytował(a) ten post dnia 05.04.08 o godzinie 07:49

Następna dyskusja:

Practice Proficient English...

Wyślij zaproszenie do