Network Engineer Consultant
My main responsibilities at Shell can be summarized in one sentence - managing vendors responsible for delivering new computer networking solutions for retail (gas stations & stores) and restoring services during outages - but it's more than that...
it's a sort of consultancy role where strong computer networking background is required. Part of the role is in (network) 'operations', part in (network) delivery + a piece of architecture as well. I work with multiple IT vendors, network engineers, solution architects, IT people, the business representatives on a daily basis in order to make sure that the new networking solutions to be delivered to Shell retail meet all the Shell requirements, business needs, will work as expected and follow high Shell/industry standards and best practices. I help to deliver the networking solutions, review the proposals, challenge them if required. If something is not working as expected I help to find a solution or at least a workaround and bring the service back to operations. I drive the changes, often lead the projects from technical perspective, propose improvements, participate in retail CAB (change advisory board) where I review the changes and analyze their impact on Shell retail. I work in a very demanding environment, on a global projects (never a single petrol station) where the network infrastructure I 'touch' is critical for the business since it has a direct impact on the operations of the retail stations in a country/region.
Keywords: cisco, routing, data center, sdwan, vendor management, consultancy, projects, operations, network visibility
Network Consultant, CCIE
Worked as an independent Network Consultant, CCIE - Cisco technologies.
Network Engineer / Architect
* Acting as a Technical Authority for Networks (LAN/WAN/WiFi technologies). Assisting in investment planning, lifecycle management, roadmap creation and delivery as well as providing input into the overall strategic direction of the network
* Interacting with stakeholders at all levels. Identifying and proposing service improvements, cost reductions and revenue opportunities
* Composing network documentation, standards and guidelines
* Translating business needs into technology solutions, creating high and low level network designs
* Managing network projects and initiatives as the lead engineer and technical project manager through all phases of these projects (requirements gathering, design, procurement, implementation and handover to operations). Delivering to the business fully functional and high quality networking solutions.
* Regional Network Delivery/Engineering team leader – acting as a mentor, supporting team members self-development initiatives, managing people workload, assigning projects and ensuring they are completed on time and to budget and that our customers are satisfied.
Senior Network Analyst
* Worked as a technical team leader, coordinated and supported Network Operations team (3rd level support) in resolving complex cross-functional issues that affected GSK corporate networks (100+ countries, 500+ locations globally)
* Participated in escalation calls with senior management. Worked on a root cause analysis and identification of best corrective / preventive actions
* Assisted in training initiatives - conducted multiple training sessions for NOC engineers on network architecture, troubleshooting techniques and enterprise class technologies to improve efficiencies and awareness in the team
* Participated in a Network Services Change Advisory Board (NSCAB) as a senior technical reviewer of the changes to ensure that all networking equipment and its configurations comply with GSK and industry standards.
* Installed, configured, supported and maintained networking hardware and software.
* Worked with a wide range of Cisco Systems technologies (LAN/WAN/WLAN/Security). My job was to participate in meetings with external customer representatives, understand the business needs and select the best solutions to be deployed in customers' networks
* Acted as a lead network engineer responsible for implementing selected technologies in customers' networks
* Post-sales support, provided consulting services and operational support for existing customers . This included on-call 24/7 emergency support (troubleshooting and outage restoration)
* Assisted sales team in the development of technical products for future solution offering
* I was responsible for ensuring that the delivered network infrastructure is fully documented and was performing as required for internal and customer SLA guarantees.
Freelancer - network & system administrator
* Designed new and supported existing computer networks, worked in a multi-vendor environment, managed network devices such as Cisco / 3COM / Nortel routers and switches, supported internal customers.
* Administrated Unix (GNU/Linux and FreeBSD) hosting servers (MTA, WWW, DNS etc) – kept the systems secure and up to date, automated routine administrative tasks (shell/perl scripting)